Saturday, October 20, 2007

Twees and tritterage, er, I mean trees and Twitterage

I'm taking the day off, been a long week and my mind's datastreaming ability has worn down. I'm visiting a friend who lives alongside a gorgeous forest of maple trees with a little creek (I'd add pics but it would cost some ridiculous amount to get them off my phone up here, really) will catch up with some final notes on the shindig when I can. Idea Lab has some folks who kept better track of the conversation.
Updated: Here's me on an western Ontario River:

At the closing panel discussion, I sat next to someone using the online ID macdivaONA, who was covering the speech on Twitter (it sends short text messages to all you want saying what you do at any time.

The conversation was interesting but I couldn't help noticing how this person next to me was covering it: she'd type and swiftly backspace and retype notes of 10 words of so and fire them off in a flash, or, sometimes, she'd pause to open up the website the speaker was talking about, scanning it -- sometimes pausing to send off another note -- then copying the link, going to a site that shortens URLs swiftly, then posting that burst of info about the site with the link (ok she was right next to me and the mac's screen was facing me, so I couldn't help notice.)

Two points about this:
  • I was amazed at how this reporter provided a steady stream of coverage, highlight by highlight, without falling behind a thought-provoking and wide-ranging dialog.
  • From Twitter's site: Twitter asks, "What are you doing?" Friends answer with short messages. Updates are sent everywhere—instantly! OK that sounds kind of geeky to a lot of people. (Like to me, no one cares what I'm doing every second, it's really not that interesting, trust me) But forget about that for a second and think of how useful Twitter's technology could have been when we covered Duke Cunningham getting sentenced, or everything else, for that matter.

Later.

- tom

No comments:

Post a Comment