Saturday, October 07, 2006

Ok that's over!

Well the conference is finally over and I am greatly relieved. Also pleased that Jeff Jarvis himself said it seemed to him that this conference had done away with the Eyeorism that had characterized last year's conference, which was one of my goals in all this (though I had never heard that wonderfully useful word before.) If you look at his blog's main page, you can also read more about what Mark Cuban said here yesterday.
OK I'm way behind. I'm a bad, bad blogger.
I am hugely gratified at the kind words of praise I got for the panels I orchestrated. Perhaps because the organization is plum out of foolish victims, I was asked a couple times tonight if I would be willing to help coordinate next year's conference. I said I would give it some thought, but not tonight, maybe tomorrow.
Leaving DC tomorrow for PA. Will try to catch up on my notes somehow on the way, otherwise I'll do it later. Or after that. As I said, I am a bad, bad blogger.
My conclusion, however, I can give you now: Despite SignOn's successes and profitability, we are way behind where we should be online, with a primitive publishing system and a divided -- and divisive -- organizational setup that leaves us unprepared to meet the challenges of this new digital age.
Yet we saw the other day how our newsroom is ready for the change, indeed our news staff is way more receptive to going online in a big way than those at many other big newsrooms. It seems like there is still a long way to go toward that goal at the NY Times and other big shops, and it's clear that those papers -- sorry Mr. Jarvis, norgs -- that never had a seperation between newsroom and online are now producing better, more innovative online journalism than many of their much larger Metro counterparts.

No comments:

Post a Comment