Friday, October 06, 2006

Cooking with gas - and Cuban

OK now we're online and blogging, yay
my first panel, the Developing New Voices one, went well, though there were some logistical hiccups.
I am now listening to Mark Cuban's keynote, which is very interesting because he's so smart and outspoken.
He said Google would be nuts to buy YouTube (not MySpace, as I wrote earlier, duh on me, thanks Huntz) that YouTube is a copyright lawsuit waiting to happen.
Asked what he would do if he ran a newspaper, he said he would figure out its core competencies, what it does well; who is "going to kick my ass" (what competitors are out there) and how am I going to differentiate myself from the others. He said the hardest part is the marketing, to brand your product so that people will come to you.
He also said papers should raise the price to better match the value proposition, ie it's worth more than we charge for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment